Monday 17 November 2014

Lykke Li

I have fallen behind. Don't think less of me. But instead read more of me.

Am writing this from the spare bedroom of my friend Hester's house. Her family have been very kind and have given me the red room for the night. It's such a comfortable place. Safe from the rest of the world.

I miss the Midlands. It's got such easy access to all of England. Which is a wonderful country for culture. And atmosphere. And in various cases, acceptance.

This has given me something to really think about.

Last night I was in Manchester.

My goal was Lykke Li.

And ever since I've been playing her cover of Fleetwood Mac's Silver Springs.

Her movements were strange. Her voice eased into perfection after the first song. And her blatant refusal to sing songs from her first album tells me that she can let go. Eventually.

Her last album I Never Learn is the concept album anyone brokenhearted needs. Rather than stoop to how bad one feels or how cruel love is, Li tries to see the other point of view. She tells it like it is. Her voice is ripe with hurt.

Soon enough you're dealing with as close to a David Lynch Romantic Comedy as you're going to get.

Could I claim to be over my last love interest? To a degree. I certainly feel that I'm trying to keep myself collected.

There is no answer to 'The One'. And you can't force someone to like you. Once I get back to Belfast I'll be giving time to think of new interests. And potentially a new lifestyle. A new setting.

And Lykke Li is welcome to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment